Friday, January 29, 2010

Goodbye Windows Vista...

For the last few months, the Windows Vista Business on my laptop has been dying a slow death. I have been getting file system errors at boot and only a CHKDSK seems to repair them. As first, I thought it was some random files but it has moved on to folders as well on both partitions. What will I do to remedy this?

I have decided to replace Windows Vista not with Windows 7 but with Linux! I am SICK & TIRED of: the hard disk clicking away for no reason, the endless patches, long boots or shutdowns and incompatible software and drivers. I have been testing Ubuntu 9.10 x64 and OpenSUSE 11.2 x64 as my candidates for the main OS. Since I have to run AutoCAD, I will create virtual Windows XP and Windows 7 computers and run AutoCAD on them. I don't do production work with AutoCAD since I am more of a developer now. So I will trade performance for robustness. I will also be going from a 32bit to a 64bit OS allowing me to use my full 4GB of RAM.

So far, I am leaning towards Ubuntu instead of OpenSUSE. In a virtual test, I have been able to do most of my day-to-day stuff without a hitch. Stay tuned for more developments.

No comments: